Colin Doyle’s enthusiasm with his work in standards development has been a huge asset to the standards community. Since his initial introduction 50 years ago, Colin has devoted time, commitment and plenty of committee meetings to produce a plethora of published standards.
It only took 2 years after graduating school for Colin to be introduced to standards and what they did. His welcome to the standards world was based on the performance and safety standards in testing refrigeration products in the commercial equipment design and development laboratory.
Once inducted, Colin changed his field momentarily, participating in the development of standards for the introduction of colour television into Australia, and later contributed in the standards process for digital television.
Colin’s dedication, knowledge and leadership were all attributes that had his involvement sought after for several high-profile projects, including:
- Regulatory Compliance Mark (RCM) standards, used by electrical safety regulators and the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA). During his time working at Standards Australia, Colin also managed the RCM registration facility and continued this under his own company before the introduction of the Electrical Safety System (EESS).
- The development of the water efficiency standards and the Commonwealth Government run Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (WELS) scheme.
- The design of a performance test standard for portable air conditioners, which is now being adopted internationally to be used for energy efficiency and energy labelling for portables.
- Creating the Industry Code for Consumer Goods that contain button batteries. This code works towards reducing the risk of death and life-threatening injuries to children.
- The recently government approved seasonal performance ratings and zoned energy rating label for air conditioners. Following consumers to select models which operate more efficiently in their specific climate zone.
The magnitude of Colin’s experience, combined with his knowledge, efficiency and determination has made him a pivotal attribute to standards development adding an incredible amount of value within this sector.
“It’s critical to continue. We need to increase the understanding for the necessity of standards, to ensure continual safety.”