Standards Australia’s NEXTgen Program selects emerging industry and technical experts and provides them with an exciting opportunity to become involved in the national and international standardisation processes supporting Australian industry and government.
Through the program, participants will access training and gain direct exposure to the standards development process and context. They will attend and participate in webinars, meetings, and professional development activities. Emerging leaders will share knowledge and collaborate, developing a deep understanding of what it takes to shape robust standards that contribute net benefit to the Australian community. Participants will create a valuable network of key Australian stakeholders and peers across industry sectors.
The goal of the program is to support the future of standards development through investing in the next generation of standards leaders and experts. Program participants gain the necessary skills to further increase their involvement in standardisation and contribute to the development of important standards in their field.
What can you gain from the program?
- An in-depth understanding of the standardisation process
- Developing the necessary skills to be an effective technical committee member
- Identifying professional development opportunities
- Hearing from nominating organisations and establishing networks
- Joining the accomplished community of program alumni
How much does it cost to be involved with the NEXTgen Program?
There is no charge for the NEXTgen Program. In terms of travel, subsidies are available for those travelling outside Greater Sydney.
How do we choose the NEXTgen?
To be eligible, applicants should:
- Reside in Australia
- Have an active, professional interest in standardisation. This can be demonstrated, for example, by participating in standards development or working for an organisation that actively uses standards
- Commit to attending all scheduled events
- Be able to attend a minimum of three standards meetings (technical or governance)
- Be committed for the duration of the program, with a view to continued involvement in standardisation
- Be supported by your employer to participate in program activities
“Working as an Engineering Support Manager for Daikin Australia, I refer to standards daily to carry out my job. After attending several industry nominating group meetings, I developed a keen interest to understand the process as to how standards are developed and why. After completing the NEXTgen Program, I now have a better understanding of that process and can better interpret the standards I work with. I plan to put my knowledge to use in the Australian Standards committee I have recently joined.”
“100% do it! You will gain insights in communication, relationship building, building your own brand and effective negotiation. It’s been great learning about the development process of a standard and seeing how important the ‘people’ aspect is. A standard is only as good as the experts that provide input, so it’s vital that industry and academic stakeholders stay engaged.”
For more information, see NEXTgen program information