What is the NEXTgen Program?
Standards Australia’s NEXTgen Program selects emerging industry and technical experts and provides them with an exciting opportunity to become involved in the national and international standardisation processes supporting Australian industry and government.
Through the program, participants will access training and gain direct exposure to the standards development process and context. They will attend and participate in webinars, meetings, and professional development activities. Emerging leaders will share knowledge and collaborate, developing a deep understanding of what it takes to shape robust standards that contribute net benefit to the Australian community. Participants will create a valuable network of key Australian stakeholders and peers across industry sectors.
The goal of the program is to support the future of standards development through investing in the next generation of standards leaders and experts. Program participants gain the necessary skills to further increase their involvement in standardisation and contribute to the development of important standards in their field.
If you’re looking to stretch the comfort zone, the NEXTgen program is for you.
Previously before the program I wanted to get involved in standards development but didn’t know how
Being able to engage with those people that have the wealth of knowledge, have the experience...
It’s been a great experience and I have learned so much about the process of standardising
Anyone from any industry who uses standards, is interested in standardisation, who wants to be on a committee, who is on a committee.
I would highly recommend the program to anyone thinking to get involved in standards.
It's been really surprising in how much I've learned and how much opportunity there is.
One of the messages to the bosses of the young leaders is that there’s some real opportunities by encouraging their staff to attend
and I actually, you know, I want to get involved, I want to make that impact and I feel that standards gives me that opportunity
You are often rubbing shoulders with leaders, thought leaders in your industry sector.
They are then able to take that experience back and provide value-add to their clients from the very next day
In terms of your personal development, in terms of your standards involvement, there’s so many opportunities and it’s such an amazing contribution that you can be making.
What can you gain from the program?
- An in-depth understanding of the standardisation process
- Developing the necessary skills to be an effective technical committee member
- Identifying professional development opportunities
- Hearing from nominating organisations and establishing networks
- Joining the accomplished community of program alumni
Will travel be subsidised?
Subsidies are available for interstate and NSW travel.
How do we choose the NEXTgen?
To be eligible, applicants should:
- Reside in Australia
- Be under 40 years old
- Have an active, professional interest in standardisation. This can be demonstrated, for example, by participating in standards development or working for an organisation that actively uses standards.
- Commit to attending all scheduled events (see 2018/19 calendar below).
- Be able to attend a minimum of three standards meetings (technical or governance).
- Be committed for the duration of the program, with a view to continued involvement in standardisation.
- Be supported by your employer to participate in program activities.