In 2023, Standards Australia joined the National AI Centre’s Responsible AI Network to support the design and uptake of AI and provide information and guidance to Australian businesses on how standards can support the delivery of responsible AI outcomes.
As part of this commitment, Standards Australia will host a series of workshops throughout 2023. The workshops, targeted at businesses, industry representatives and governments, will focus on a variety of topics including:
- Introduction to AI standards
- AI concepts, terminology and lifecycle
- Standards for responsible and inclusive AI
- AI Management Systems standard, and
- Data-centric AI.
Workshop one - Introduction to Standards for Artificial Intelligence – took place on 23 May and addressed the importance of standards and how they can contribute to responsible AI outcomes and mitigate risk.
Following a short presentation on standards and AI, the virtual workshop included an expert panel discussion and live Q&A featuring:
- Aurelie Jacquet, Chair of Australia’s AI standards committee
- Dr Kobi Leins, Expert member of Australia’s AI standards committee
- Louise McGrath, Head of Industry Development and Policy, Australian Industry Group
- Adam Stingemore, General Manager Engagement and Communications, Standards Australia.
The panelists discussed the immense potential of AI to alleviate challenges across environment and society, and to drive innovation, while noting that the growth of AI and the speed at which it is being adopted raises concerns around trust, privacy, security, and data quality.
They also addressed the misconception that international standards could stifle innovation in AI; in fact, standards can provide solutions to these concerns as they harmonise frameworks, boost confidence, and reduce barriers to trade.
- To watch the event recording click on this link.
- To learn more and read the follow up report click on this link.
- To find out about upcoming workshops, register your interest here.
Further information about future workshops will be provided over the coming months.