Today Standards Australia has published six significant documents in the steel sector.
The documents are as follows:
• AS/NZS 1163, Cold-formed structural steel hollow sections
• AS/NZS 3678, Structural steel—Hot-rolled plates, floorplates and slabs
• AS/NZS 3679.1, Structural steel, Part 1: Hot-rolled bars and sections
• AS/NZS 3679.2, Structural steel, Part 2: Welded I sections
• TS 102:2016 Structural steel – Limits on elements added
• TS 103: 2016 Structural steel welding – Limits on boron in parent materials
This represents the conclusion of a work program that has seen technical experts come together to revise important documents for structural steel and welding.
Whilst this has been a challenging process to undertake, Standards Australia has committed substantial resources to the work and believes the sector is supported with a set of contemporary standards and technical specifications.
Building an understanding of how the technical specifications may be used to support the Australian Standards® through their use in contract, industry based schemes and through regulation will be the next step for the sector.