Standards Australia, through its technical committee SF-001, Occupational Health and Safety Management, remains an active contributor to the international technical committee ISO/PC 283, Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems, responsible for developing ISO 45001.
The International Standard, ISO 45001, is still being drafted and has yet to be finalised or implemented. Publication is not expected until 2018.
The voluntary document AS/NZS 4801:2001, Occupational health and safety management systems - Specification with guidance for use, remains the current Australian and New Zealand Standard in this area at this stage.
If consensus is reached internationally on the final draft of ISO 45001, adoption of the document will then be considered in Australia, in accordance with our process which involves the development of a proposal and public consultation.
Speculation regarding what will happen with the draft ISO 45001 standard, or whether it will be adopted in Australia, is premature given the ISO document is still in development.
Organisations contributing to Australia’s position on the draft international standard include:
- Association of Accredited Certification Bodies
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Australian Council of Trade Unions
- Australian Industry Group
- Bureau of Steel Manufacturers of Australia
- Department of Natural Resources and Mines, QLD
- Energy Networks Australia
- Engineers Australia
- Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand
- Master Builders Australia
- New Zealand Institute of Safety Management
- Responsible Care New Zealand
- Safe Work Australia
- Safety Institute of Australia
- Australian Certification Interests (SAI Global)
- University of New South Wales